Application Deadline: July 29, 2019
The University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley) and University of California San Francisco (UCSF) are currently soliciting applications for outstanding data scientists to join a new, groundbreaking data science health innovation fellowship program. Fellows will be provided with 2 years of generous financial support to develop and execute innovative, data-driven research projects in areas of unmet patient needs. Fellows will have access to computer science, engineering, and statistics expertise and technology innovation at UC Berkeley; clinical expertise and data at UCSF; and pharmaceutical industry and translational expertise from Janssen Research & Development. Combining mentorship from all three organizations, large health and biological datasets, and their own data science expertise, Fellows will safely and respectfully conduct research projects with the potential to transform healthcare.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You have a computational background with several years of post-degree experience. We want to see evidence of your practical accomplishments!
- You do not need to have worked in the health and biomedical sectors, but you should be passionate about the potential of AI to transform healthcare and motivated to contribute to that transformation.
- You are self-motivated, proactive, forward-thinking, creative, and have demonstrated your ability to propose, initiate, and carry out ambitious data-intensive projects even with few specifically assigned resources.
- You have strong collaboration, interpersonal, and communication skills, both with researchers across methodological areas and research domains. We’re building a community around and across each cohort of Fellows, because none of the major problems in healthcare will be solved by a single person. We’ll surround you with mentors, clinicians, stakeholders throughout the health value chain, entrepreneurs, so you can both learn from and teach something new to everyone you meet.
- You can transform large and messy datasets into insights, effectively communicate your process and insights to technical and non-technical audiences, and demonstrate significant business impact.
- And of course, you need to be strong technically in modeling, programming, and scientific computing.
Application Review and Interviews: August, 2019
Fellowship recipients announced: September, 2019
Fellowship Dates: October, 2019 – October, 2021