Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 24, 2019
The Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings are scientific conferences that take place every year in Lindau, Germany. Nobel Laureates convene to meet with outstanding young scientists from all over the world. The aim is to foster interactions between scientists of different generations, cultures and disciplines. The meetings are based on the principle of dialogue and the different sessions are designed to activate the exchange of knowledge, ideas and experience among the Nobel Laureates and young scientists.
The meetings rotate around the three Nobel Prize disciplines of Chemistry, Physics and Physiology and Medicine. An interdisciplinary meeting revolving around all three natural sciences is held.
This call is an invitation to young African scientists in the field of Economics ((graduate students and postdoctoral or early tenure-track scientists) to submit their interest in being nominated for the 7th Meeting of Nobel Laureates on Economic Sciences. AAS seeks to nominate candidates from all the five regions of the continent.
The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) in partnership with the Council for the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings and the Foundation Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings will support the participation of early career African scientists in the three Natural Science fields and Economics at the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings. Young participants to the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings are recruited from among (1) undergraduate students, (2) masters and doctoral students and (3) young postdoctoral scientists in the three natural and economic sciences.
The AAS will identify excellent candidates through a competitive nomination and review process. Up to 20 candidates will be selected for each Lindau meeting. These young scientists represent the next generation of leading scientists and researchers. As alumni of the Lindau Meetings, former participants stay connected with each other and become ambassadors of the scientific dialogue fostered by the Lindau Meetings – they form a network of excellence.
The AAS will cover the cost of an economy return air ticket to Lindau and part of their registration fee while the balance of the registration fee, accommodation and meals will be covered by the Lindau Foundation. There will be further guidelines for those who are selected.
Please note that a nomination does not necessarily lead to an invitation to participate in the meeting. The organizing Council for the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings will make the final decision.
- not be older than 35 years of age at the date of the meeting with exceptions for special cases (e.g. maternity leave)
- must be nationals of an African country
- have a promising research agenda. Postdocs or early tenure-track scientists should have produced outstanding research papers on relevant subjects.
- A candidate should show a pronounced interest in the international dialogue within the academic community
- receive strong support of their application from either their supervisor / academic advisor / head of institution / an AAS Fellow / internationally renowned scientist, who knows the applicant well, through a detailed letter of recommendation. The recommendation greatly influences the evaluation
- be fluent in English and prepared to actively participate in discussions with laureates and young scientists
- belong to the top five percent of their class
- not already have a permanent position (for this, the professional/employment status must be clearly indicated)
- not have participated in previous Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings
- commit themselves to being present in Lindau for the full duration of the meeting
How to Apply:
Applications are made online on the AAS Ishango Online System. Please follow the instructions below.
Applications must be received on or before 24th September 2019 and there will be no deadline extension.
- Follow this link to get to the AAS Ishango Online System: https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/
- Register as a new user if you have not used the system before. If you have used the system before please proceed to step iv.
- The system will email you a temporary password.
- Follow the link https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/ again to access the system
- Go to existing user and log in with your password (first time users will be requested to replace their temporary password with one of their choice).
- Once you log in go to new grant application and go to click here
- Click on Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings
- Select 7th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting (Economics) and click on apply to begin filling in the online form.
- Once you have provided all the required information, please validate and submit the form.
For More Information: