Application Deadline: February 1st 2020
The Livingston Awards for Young Journalists were established in 1981 to recognize outstanding reporting and bolster the careers of journalists under the age of 35.
Each year, prizes of $10,000 each are presented in local, national and international reporting. Winners are selected by our panel of judges, who share a long-time commitment to our program and are highly respected for their achievements in journalism.
The Livingston Awards invites print, online, video, audio and data visualization entries.
Awards are presented at a luncheon event in New York City. Leading media figures and the winners’ families and colleagues attend to honor the winners and acknowledge their role in the future of American journalism.
Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting. There is no entry fee. Prize money is paid directly to the journalists, not the media organization.
- Entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2019.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization. There is not limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during calendar year ending December 31, 2019.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
- The deadline for entering work published in 2019 is February 1, 2020.
- Finalists will be notified by April 1, 2020. Announcement of winners will take place on June 4, 2020.
Deadline to enter 2019 work for the Livingston Awards or to nominate a journalism mentor for the Clurman Award is February 1, 2020.
For More Information: